PDA

View Full Version : BCR railway grade

RocketMan
11-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Has anybody travelled down this section south from tatogga lake as seen on Tom Grenons website.How far can a person travel down it?.

drbike
11-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Greg....add this onto our list of places to explore. I am not sure how far you could make it. I did not think that there were a lot of tressles put in so I would think the first unbridged water would cause problems. You could email tom and see how far he made it.

Proudman
11-09-2008, 11:45 PM
The first thing that I did when I saw this message was to check it out on MapSource.

It's funny but it looks like you mighteven make it to Prince George, but at Bear River (I think) it apparently changes from abandoned track to active.

It's a start.

Greg

hardyklr
11-20-2008, 11:08 AM
You can ride to the 170km mark or so on the BCR grade once past the turn-off at Tattoga. Did this ride last year with BCNorth. After that, it gets pretty rough. Nice ride, rough in spots.

RocketMan
11-20-2008, 02:35 PM
hardyklr wrote:
You can ride to the 170km mark or so on the BCR grade once past the turn-off at Tattoga. Did this ride last year with BCNorth. After that, it gets pretty rough. Nice ride, rough in spots.
When you say it gets pretty rough do you think its unridable and impossible to come through down into bear lake and get fuel around Germanson.I assume you guys were both riding KLR's.Thanks for the info.

joker650
11-20-2008, 05:24 PM
This sounds like a prety interesting/scenic ride.

How many km's of old rail bed would you cover?

And have you got a Google or map pic of rhe route?

I don't think there are too many "difficult" spots anywhere thatcanstop the "Rocket Man":hb:

250ccforme
11-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Looking atthe info on Tom's website, this Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_Rail,Mapsource and Google Earthit looks as though the rough section may be "only" 50 or so km. I've been intrigued by this route for years. Careful planning (knowing the train schedule) might make the obstacle of the active portion a moot point.Looking at the railgrade in Google Earth, where the images are high res, there may be a few washouts. A team effort might have a chance. Fuel would be the biggy. :D

hardyklr
11-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Just past Jackson flats, about 155km, the road gets bad and takes you to a washout bridge crossing of the Kluatantan River at about 170km...so can't get past it to get on past the Duti River and down to Chipmunk. At least as of last June. Yes we were on KLR's carrying camping gear etc.

Note. There are no trains, as there is no track. The BCR grade was abandoned in the mid-1970's and never finished. The Tahltan FN use the grade a lot to get into the Sacred Headwaters (120-160km) where the Stikine, Nass, and Skeena Rivers begin. Shell Oil and Klappan Coal have been trying to get resource extraction going in this area for some time. Google Sacred Headwaters Upper Skeena etc...lots of info and pics. This is one amazing area. Watch this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akevZTqMe-U&feature=related

250ccforme
11-20-2008, 08:04 PM
The Wiki article mentions Chipmunk as the north end of the track. Do you know if that is correct? Seems to me I heard something about them (BCR) removing some of the track againto use elsewhere in their system.

I used to live in Cassiar so I'm familiar with the allure of the north that people who've never beennorth don't comprehend. I've also been slightly north of Dawson City YT. Some year I want to dip a toe into the Arctic Ocean. Thought of the old BCR bed as one way to get part way there. Might have to stick to Hwy37.

Ripple
11-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Remember mapsource is Canadian topo maps. Check the paper version at the bookstore-info collected during the 80's. Lots of change since then.

drbike
11-21-2008, 04:01 PM
OK Greg, I think its time to get the map man working on a long weekend trip sounds like its worth checking out.

I too lived in the Cassiar region and always look for a reason to return.

Proudman
11-21-2008, 10:02 PM
I have been trying to figure this one out but I keep coming up short.

Tom Grenon's site seems to be down.

Where is the trail's access from the North? According to MapSource it appears to begin just south of Dease Lake and criss crosses the Cassiar hwy for about 29 km.
That was the last road connection that I could find.

By my MapSource maps Tattoga is not near the BCR but there is a FSR that goes from there towards the BCR but ends on the wrong side of the Klappan River.
So I went to my Mining maps and found that the Tattoga road has a bridge that takes it over to the East side of the Klappan River.

By the way, it's 500 km from Terrace to there so I'm thinking we may want to plan on it being more than a three day trip.

It sounds like there is no circle route. It's in and then back out the way we came in but were is the start of the BCR trail?

Greg

drbike
11-22-2008, 03:36 AM
We could make it part of a grander trip. A diversion along the way. Keep working I am sure you will find the way.:)

hardyklr
11-22-2008, 12:21 PM
It is easy to find, as the BCR grade is the way into Spatsizi Park. Use Ibychus Topo on your GPS as everything is shown up to date...better than MapSource.

To get to Spatsizi Plateau Provincial Wilderness Park, turn east off Hwy 37 onto the Ealue Lake Rd at Tatogga Lake. Follow the road, crossing the Klappan River, where it then intersects with BC Rail grade. The grade parallels the southwestern boundary of the park for 112 km and is rough but driveable for most vehicles. From here the park must be accessed by foot, horseback, or canoe.

You can also ride north on the grade to the Stikine River. Makes a good two day trip or so, i and out no circle route. We did Prince Rupert backroads to Stewart Day 1, Meziadin to Tatogga Day 2, Tatogga to 164km BCR Day 3, BCR to Telegraph Creek Day 4, then Telegraph Creek back to Meziadin Day 5 and then home. Next year we will spend more time along the Klappan etc.

Proudman
11-22-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm in Prince George for the weekend but I'm still working on this.

Now you've started something new HardyKLR!

What back roads will get me from Prince Rupert to Stewart? The only two routes I've ridden are 16 to 37 to 37A and up 113 from Terrace to New Aiyansh and accross to Cranberry Junction and on up 37 to 37A.

I admit it, I'm a backroad junkie. If there's another route I've got to do it :D

Greg

hardyklr
11-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Sorry Proud! I should have said a combo of dirt and highway between PR and Stewart, same major routes you already know with a few twists.. you can go Cranberry to Mez on the south side etc but the roads are rough. No direct way to Stewart from here unless I use my boat!

Cheers:hb:

Proudman
11-22-2008, 07:29 PM
How many KLRs does your boat hold? :D

Proudman
11-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Just found out that there is someone in town who worked on the BCR abandoned section who is quite knowledgeable about the area. Apparently knows where all of the access points are.

Will be sitting down with him this winter.

It may cost us a few beer but I know I can count on you guys to cover our tab.

Right guys?

Guys...

250ccforme
12-04-2008, 07:57 PM
:tup: