Vernon Motorsports

Thread: Yamaha xtz 750 Super Tenere

hookeniggy

Post imported post

Just wondering,

Anybody out there, riding supertenere's?

DSBC Participating Member
    Bike(s)
    KTM 530 EXC

Post imported post

Interesting looking bike, ive never seen one here in Canada.

DSBC Participating Member Sparkle's Avatar
    Bike(s)
    1981 XT500H

Post imported post

Hi Hookeniggy:

There are lots of great motorcycles that us suppressed North-Americans have to do without because of marketing strategy or government regulation...Even the XT500 stopped in 1981 for us (XT500H), while Europe could buy it until 1986and evenlater.

As far as I know the Tenere series was never offered in North America and I've never even seen an XTZ750 ST. Even thelatest 2008 XT660Z, which looks likeit would sell like hotcakes is not for sale here.

I'm sure there were some models that snuck through andsome "gray market" bikes over the years, and I'm sure some have been imported by private owners, but they are extremely rare. Too bad for us!

Sparkle

old trials guy

Post imported post

Expected to show up at Yamaha dealers in Canada this fall.

otg

The 650 is rumored to be coming this fall but no sign of it on their website. Talk is it will be about 11,000.

DSBC Participating Member Sparkle's Avatar
    Bike(s)
    1981 XT500H

Post imported post

old trials guy wrote:
    Expected to show up at Yamaha dealers in Canada this fall.

otg
    Oh...they had some left-overs did they?

Sparkle

(edit)

Yah, it doesn't look like we'll ever see one and it doesn't bother me 'cause they're too big for me, but there must be some DS Canadians that would buy one, especially after you read the specs...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

Hi All,

I happen to have a XTZ 750 Super Tenere from 1992

Yamaha did import them for a couple of years in the early 90s

Great bike with lots of giddyup. Bit of a gas pig but comfortable enough to ride all day. Get lots of looks as it is very uncommon.

Cheers

hookeniggy

Post imported post

Eej there!

Good to here somebody's got one, yeah they'r known to be a gashog (compared xt's), mine isn't to bad though, getting about 13 clicks onknobbies and about 17 on streettires, so that means out on the highway about 400 before filling up.

to bad their not selling 660, probably can't keep up because they'r all sold out over here.

hookeniggy

Post imported post

I have a similar bike in the TDM 850, which I adventure ride the He** out of. I rode a S10 in the Middle east in the mid 90s and lusted after on ever since. When I saw the TDM for sale I made the purchase on the spot.

I was inCroatia in Sept and rented a new tenere for a tour of thecountry. Nice bike but a littlelow on power with full saddlebagsat highway speeds. The FI is very nice for low speed riding and the occasional mid hill stall. Riding position was very comfortable.

Post imported post

When I read the article on this bike in Cycle World, I was really excited, "A big bore Yamaha?! Sign me up!" I thought to myself, but then I read that it was unlikely that it'd be released here, needless to say I was more than a bit dissapointed.

I think the reason behind some of these nice middle of the road sized bikes like the Tenere and others aren't sold in North America is because of the general opinion of what bikes people want/what bikes should be. If it isn't a Harley or a 1000 cc and up super sport it isn't "wanted". I know this isn't 100% true, since we have a wonderful forum like this full of riders breaking the stereotypes.

But yeah, the general opinion and sales figures tell a very different story, It's sad really, since we loose out on some pretty amazing bikes.

-Tibby

old trials guy

Post imported post

Regarding the Tenere, oneproblem is production costs in Japan often make many models price prohibitive in North America. I estimated that the 660 Tenere would sell for well over $10k in Canada which would make it more expensive than the bargain priced BMW600 (which as youprobably know is really a detuned 800). I think Yamaha doesn't feel they can be price competitive so chose not to bring it in.

That may also go towards explaining why we see very few new models emerging from Japan especially in the dual sport line ups. It is very profitable to sell a 10 or 12 year old design as the tooling and development costs have long been paid back.

As good as the Japanese were at producing low cost, high tech bikes in the last century theirinflation and stagnant economy has stifledtheir ability to design anddeliver new models every3 or 4 years. It seemsthesituation in Europe has made it a morefertile source for new and exciting bikes.

The pendulum swings back and forth...otg

hookeniggy

Post imported post

Too bad yamaha didn't sell them in Canada.

Personally i think they did not market these bikes for North America because it wasdeveloped in France by the french yamaha importer for the Dakar rally.And back then this was more a euro thing which i find is to bad.I ride mine everyday on and off road and i fall in love with mine everyday, it'll do 200 clicks on the highway, and it will soak up 8 foot threnches,, off road witout being trown over the handlebars.I really want to do the transam trail on it (if i can get the time off).

Maybe if there's more guys with s10's that want to come along this summer it be awesome.

iggy

Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

I'd bloody shit me pants if one of these babies was parked on my local dealer's floor come fall.

U235

Post imported post

Hello! I'm novice in Kelowna. I have Super Tenere too.. but not in Canada. I arrived here from Lithuania and looking for used dual purpose bike.

it's so little good enduros here... why ? I saw photos - it's awesome! I'd like to find good bike and job as soon as possible and ride with you in Okanagan area!!

so here I go!

U235

Post imported post

yeah... how upload picture in this forum ?

DSBC Participating Member bajaman's Avatar
    Bike(s)
    07 RUMMED DRZ 400e

Post imported post

I want the 650!!!!looks cool...get one than I won't have to buy a pumpkin...want to stay Japanese....

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”

U235

Post imported post

no! XTZ750 forever!!

DSBC Participating Member bajaman's Avatar
    Bike(s)
    07 RUMMED DRZ 400e

Post imported post

U235 wrote:
    no! XTZ750 forever!!
    “Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”

Bike(s)
    640 LC4E, 640 Adventure, Kawi Voyager

Post imported post

This is the latest on the Tenereand it looks like it is going to be a 1200 cc machine

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/24feb...tannounced.htm . No mention if a 650 ccmachine is coming.