Strauss Herb Company
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DR650 vs DRZ400

DSBC Participating Member

Post imported post

Hey, ant thoughts on the pro,s and cons between these two bikes. I sold my DR 650 and am now missing the dirt riding. I liked the bike with the mods that I did to it but would like a bike that weights a bitless. I am 6' so the extra height should not be a problem. There also seems to be more accessories for the DRZ 400. There are other brands like KTM and BMW but cost 3-4 more thousand dollars. I can put a few mods on the DR or DRZ for about 1 thousand that will make it a much better bike.Any imput would be appreciated. Cheers Roscoe

franhoser

Post imported post

Ihad both and drzhas away better suspension. a bit lighter. about the same power off road. maybe more if you get the e DRZ or upgrade the S model with FCR39 carb.

Everything is a trade off on what you want to use the bike for. I would not ride the DRZ to Nunavut but I would not take the DR on A routes.

Ask yourself what kind of rider you are (want to be) and get the appropriate bike for your style and needs. Unfortunately I have yet to find a bike that is the best of all worlds.

DSBC Participating Member SubMann's Avatar

Post imported post

RoscoeP wrote:
    Hey, ant thoughts on the pro,s and cons between these two bikes. I sold my DR 650 and am now missing the dirt riding. I liked the bike with the mods that I did to it but would like a bike that weights a bitless. I am 6' so the extra height should not be a problem. There also seems to be more accessories for the DRZ 400. There are other brands like KTM and BMW but cost 3-4 more thousand dollars. I can put a few mods on the DR or DRZ for about 1 thousand that will make it a much better bike.Any imput would be appreciated. Cheers Roscoe
    There are a million comparisons on the net. Get ready for the flame wars to start.

You can add footpegs, handlebars, brakes that work, better suspension, different gearing, the list goes on, to a DRZ. You'll have spent more and you'll still have a heavy, five speed underpowered bike compared the the KTM/BMWs. (I own the DRZ and KTM).

However the DRZ is better for long logging road tours and has less maintenance requirements. And the manitenance requirements are significantly different. The KTM likes oil changes and valve adjustments. The KTM has rim locks which make highway riding less pleasant. So the KTM is a dirt ready enduro that tolerates highways. The DRZ Is the opposite. Yes I know that some guys can ride DRZ's anywhere but that extra 40 pounds does count.

And as you know 00Buck is the DR650 guru

Good luck!

Bike(s)
    DT,DL,DR,XB,TY

Post imported post

My DR650 has been retired from trail use. It is too heavy or I am too old. Probably both!

The KTM or BMW might be more seriousoff road bikes...but unless you plan to ride A trails, I'd get the DRZ. As a mechanic I favour low maintenance, low cost, bulletproof bikes. You can find a lightly used model with all the mods for a reasonable price. (as was your DR650)

Ross, how do you like the KTM SMC?

DSBC Participating Member malachi's Avatar
    Bike(s)
    04 DRZ400, 08 RM125, 91' RM125

Post imported post

.....Keith you were right about everything on aDRZ......Except... aside fromextra weight and being a 5 speed,the DRZ has no limits. The DRZ motor comes neutered from the factory, but with aftermarket supplies huge you can get over 60hp out of that motor, plus add all the armour and other upgradesyou'll still have money left over for what a pumkin costs.....plus stillhave it more reliable than a KTM. The KTM requires a bunch of armour as well which adds to the already hefty price.The suspension on the DRZ is very good, you just have to know how to set it up. Unless the rider is over 200lbs (I am 170) theres no problem whatsoever,so there's no need for the "inverted" fork fad. Traditional forks work just fine for offroad/trail use...motocross definetely inverted. A steering damper makes a huge difference and they're available for the DRZ....the ktms and the "exotic" bikes with inverted forks have steering dampers available as well.

old trials guy

Post imported post

60 hp?

Suzuki, DRZ400, SM, 2005
    all stock bike - stock exhaust

~30-32 True HP

Suzuki, DRZ400, SM, 2005
    no snorkel, 4" airbox hole, comp exhaust

~36-38 True HP

Suzuki, DRZ400's with cv carb
    all stock bike - stock exhaust

~25-30 True HP

Suzuki, DRZ400's with cv carb
    comp exhaust w/o spark arrester, no snorkel

~27-32 True HP

Suzuki, DRZ400, early
    with Keihin FCR original carb
    stock engine - comp exhaust w/o spark arrester, no snorkel

~28-29 True HP
    with one fluke of 30

I doubt if Mike Keidrowski's factory DRZ created 60 hp and if so the reliability would undoubtably be compromised (overheating wasrumored an issue with theSuzuki factorybikes). DRZ's are great dual sports and make decent trail bikes but I think itwould be abit of a stretch to say they can compete with most European enduro bikes with a few modifications. Suzuki couldn't do it with factory support.

I know I probably will have every DRZ owner up in arms but if someone is asking for information on bikes I think it is only fair to offer opinions as fairly and accurately as possible. I owned a DRZ and it was a nice street and trail bike and I am sure would make a decent light weight adventure bike.

otg

DSBC Participating Member zokalr13's Avatar
    Bike(s)
    91 CR500 00 CBR600F4

Post imported post

yeah when i get my KX500 motor done up ill get it dynoed at the KELmotorrad and will invite all those DRZ owners and their ilk to match the 60 or so HP-!!! we can post the numbersafter and have a good laugh and then they can trade em in for TEs hey right now id be happy to own either a DR or DRZ as im learning my dream of a streeted bajaKX 5is fading faster than red plastic on a hot day!!
    buying selling modding bikes [repeat]

Bike(s)
    DT,DL,DR,XB,TY

Post imported post

This thread should be called DRZ versus KTM, BMW or similar.

Afterall Ross, you owned a DR650 and are unlikely to get another one. Have you ridden a DRZ? I rode Taxguys Kawi KLX400 offroad version (same as a DRZ E) and was shocked at how much better it was offroad compared to my DR650 superpig. lol

Other goodDS bikes to consider for A/B trail use.... KLX 250S, WR 250R.

Post imported post

I think the step from the DR650 to the DRZ400 is similar to the step from the DRZ to the KTM or BMW (5 speed too by the way).

I know what it costs to upgrade the DRZ parts to KTM spec and I know it will end up being more in the end. Every piece on the KTM is top drawer. The DRZ? well typical Suzuki and built to a price point.

KTM? Hydraulic clutch, Brembo brakes, stainless steel braided brake lines. Proper foot pegs, 6 speed, rim locks, great handlebars, nice tools, decent light exhaust, etc.

I already commented on the maintenance differences. Given proper maintenance they will both be reliable. But the KTM requires a LOT more maintenance. And the cost of that can be high if you use a shop. If you follow the race maintenance schedule then you will be rebuilding the KTM as the DRZ get it oil changed.

The KTM and BMW really are race ready out of the wrapper. But you'll think twice about riding them for longer tours. Some people on this site do and are quite happy.

But the weight and power are incomparable.

Good luck!

DSBC Participating Member North's Avatar
    Bike(s)
    Mars Rover

Post imported post

I tryed to find the perfect dualsport, and as everyone knows. It hasn't been built yet.
    So that's why you need two Bikes.

For just one, the DRZ 400 is great bike and it will be a lot easier to ride off road than your DR 650 was. It just boils down to what you want in a bike.

Bike(s)
    91 CR500 00 CBR600F4

Post imported post

what i want is a 200 lb100 hp 7thgear 18ltr gas tank 70 mpg torquey peaky high tech low tech reliable fast single track hwy e -startwater cooled efi programmableeasy to work on motorthat costs 4K new- looks cool not dorky cheap insurancemotardable green yellow red white blue and orange great handling storage racks electrical hookups heated grips gps low high seat heightupside down forks ohlin shocks brembo brakes race ready-factory supported works technology no doohickey titanium cam chain fast light flickable stable planted at speed lo- jack equippedhas a kick starter teflon knobbies.......ok- lets start a bike company!!

Bike(s)
    Mars Rover

Post imported post

I'll take one of those bike's too. In black of course.

Bike(s)
    Speed Triple, Tiger 800 XC

Post imported post

zokalr13 wrote:
    what i want is a 200 lb100 hp 7thgear 18ltr gas tank 70 mpg torquey peaky high tech low tech reliable fast single track hwy e -startwater cooled efi programmableeasy to work on motorthat costs 4K new- looks cool not dorky cheap insurancemotardable green yellow red white blue and orange great handling storage racks electrical hookups heated grips gps low high seat heightupside down forks ohlin shocks brembo brakes race ready-factory supported works technology no doohickey titanium cam chain fast light flickable stable planted at speed lo- jack equippedhas a kick starter teflon knobbies.......ok- lets start a bike company!!
    Hey, that sounds like fun. Where can I get one?

Bike(s)
    Mars Rover

Post imported post

Nice bike.

This would be nice for the woods, the EC 300cc

Attached Images Attached Images

Bike(s)

Post imported post

old trials guy wrote:
    60 hp?

um......yep

{QUOTE=Eddie Sisneros}

60hp made easy,

Lukes Racing 470cc bigbore kit
    13:1 compression
    3x3 airbox mod
    FCR 41mm carb
    1mm oversized valves and port job
    Yoshimura Ti pipe

my personal bike made 56hp on a stock cylinder head.i lost interest and went bigbore!

i have several 55-60hp drz's running around out there.{QUOTE}

I never said it would be cheap, but it is possible

Eddie is a DRZ guru on Thumpertalk.

franhoser

Post imported post

that guy eats and shiats drz.

Bike(s)

Post imported post

SubMann wrote:
    I know what it costs to upgrade the DRZ parts to KTM spec and I know it will end up being more in the end. Every piece on the KTM is top drawer. The DRZ? well typical Suzuki and built to a price point.

KTM? Hydraulic clutch, Brembo brakes, stainless steel braided brake lines. Proper foot pegs, 6 speed, rim locks, great handlebars, nice tools, decent light exhaust, etc.

My 04DRZ brand new $5995 (Richmond Motorsports)

Magura hydraulic clutch $220

Pro Taper bars $85

IMS Pro Series footpegs $75

Hindle Full stainless exhaust with quiet core $400 (bought it used....only one month old)

Carb completely redone by Ken from Kenco...he changed a bunch of stuff other than the jets....but wouldn't let me know...said it was a secret...lol. He rode a modded KLX400 for two years...and loved it. $100

Steel braided lines $120 (but do Ireally need them....never been an issue for dualsport use)

Brakes?? front is just fine, if for some reason it's not... the supermoto rotor will bolt right up.The rear is an easy fix. The master cylinder is plastic for some reason, which I might add is the only subpar item on the bike. There's an upgrade which is about $100 ( RMZ450 or CRF 450 mastersbolt up without much effort)

rim locks? I run 20-22 psi off road to avoid flats,tire spin, and rim damage. Never been an issue in 25 years of riding (hope I didn't just jinx myself:?)

Suspension as I said earlier needs nothing but a proper SET UP. People over 195 lbs (I'm 170 ish) need stiffer springs but thats pretty muchthe same with anybike. Bronco 78 from Thumpertalk swears up and down the Showafront forks are the best for offroaduse period. Way better than USD and stronger.All the info is there. The rear is quality Showa as well and gets rave reviews on the forum....once again all the info is there about proper SET UP.

so lets do the math, basically

$7200, how does that end up being more than a Pumkin? I've still got $1600+ to spendto getto 50hp (Athena 440 kit, 39mm FCR,Hotcams stage2 intake and exhaust)...which is still crazy reliable.

Seems to me almost everyone that's gone from the DRZ to other models have done so without modding the bike. To mod the bike to your personal liking is quite enjoyable and is a very unique thing with the DRZ. The bike comes with alot of quality things, from there you can do pretty much anything to it....aside from the weight and the issue of a 6th gear...which I do agree about...but I'm so used to it, I don't notice either.

I'm not trashing or trying to get into an argument. I hope I haven't offended anyone butI'm just stating from my experience, and I've now pretty much beat this topic to death.

Post imported post

Well you can get Pumpkins on sale too. Especially after Halloween. So if you compare list price to list price on the bikes the math is different. And then add labour. I don't work for free ;-)

But as I pointed out earlier they are quite different bikes and suited for different purposes. You can try to make a DRZ into an offroad racing enduro (any brand) and it wont be as good. You can try to make a KTM do what a DRZ is good at and it would be the wrong way to go as well. So look at your riding and choose what suits you.

Oh and the front brake of the DRZ really is sad. I did put the super moto rotor on. And It's not just me saying that. The Internet says it too.

Post imported post

Back to the thread title...

The DR650 has a 17 inch rear wheel and the DRZ400 has an 18 inch. This may affect tire choice a bit. Offroad tires are easier to find in 18 inch and most street tires will fit the 17 inch rear wheel.

The DR650 has a large front brake rotor the DRZ has a smaller one. You don't need a new rotor for super moto conversion on the DR650.

What else?

old trials guy

Post imported post

malachi wrote:
    old trials guy wrote:
    60 hp?
    um......yep

{QUOTE=Eddie Sisneros}

60hp made easy,

Lukes Racing 470cc bigbore kit
    13:1 compression
    3x3 airbox mod
    FCR 41mm carb
    1mm oversized valves and port job
    Yoshimura Ti pipe

my personal bike made 56hp on a stock cylinder head.i lost interest and went bigbore!

i have several 55-60hp drz's running around out there.{QUOTE}

I never said it would be cheap, but it is possible

Eddie is a DRZ guru on Thumpertalk.

I guess it all depends on whose dyno you use and what you consider easy.

Suzuki DRZ 119 kg dry weight, Sherco 4.5i 109 kg dry weight. (that's about 22 lbs or the equivalent of another couple of horsepower)

DRZ36 hp stock. Sherco 47 hp stock.

DRZ 5 speeds. Sherco 6 speeds. (althought the six speed is close ratio so not a huge advantage for dual sporting,better off road though)

When is the last time you saw a DRZ competing and finishing or winning at Erzberg, Last Man Standing, Romaniacs, ISDE, Dakar?

Simply two vastly different types of bikes both of which are fun to ride. For any distance and commuting I would take the DRZ. For more serious off roading and little bit of slab I love my Euro enduro.

In regards to the original thread:

If I were choosing between the DR and the DRZ I think I would go for the DRZ (I did own one) as it is a better dirt bike and that's where I spend most of my time. The DRZ is a lot cheaper to insure. If I were doing more hiway and distance work the DR is a solid, dependable bike with great fire road capability.

Would I buy either bike the answer is a definite no. Both designs are simply too old and I think there are many better choices now available and for not much more money.

otg

Bike(s)
    91 CR500 00 CBR600F4

Post imported post

better choices?? what are they then....

old trials guy

Post imported post

zokalr13 wrote:
    My choices would depend on the application. For day rides where I like to ride as much off pavement as possible and want single track capability I amreally happywith my Sherco although others that are interesting are:

KTM 450, Beta 400 (if it can be licensed), Husky, Husaberg, Gas Gas and possibly the new WR250 injected.A street legalHonda XR650R would be pretty cool too. I would check out part availability for any of the above before buying but they look like they all would be fun!

For adventure riding with a much higher pavement component I would consider:

BMW 800, BMW 650X Challenge, KTM 690, maybe KTM 990 if I was planning a longer trip.

Again,these are my opinions ona pretty subjective topic so take it for what it is. As long as I am out riding, it really doesn't matter what I ride .

otg

Bike(s)
    Mars Rover

Post imported post

zokalr13 wrote:

The Honda Ruckus, the Big Ruckus!

Warp Drive 1,000,000 HP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bike(s)
    91 CR500 00 CBR600F4

Post imported post

OTG, those euro bikes areWAY more money than a DR/DRZs and you said "for not much more"...try 10 times more!!the only other bike that made sense was the XR650R..what imsaying is that as far as dual-sports go,the meagre choices are cheaper japanese [KLRsDRsXRsDRZsXTs] or uber $$euro bikes that are either race bikes[KTM,HUSKY] or heavy street -oriented ADV bikes:[GS800 F650 R 1200etc]most people put up with modding cheaper bikes than spending tons $$$ on euro bikes but hey go for it -if you can swing it- i love bikes -just not enough to take out a 3rd mtg on one in this rip-off town!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast