I just purchased a nice old Honda XL250S. Its a 1981 6V, dual shock model – the last year before the 12V and pro-link style suspension. I have had it for about a month and am having a blast on it.
Its plated and legal even though I bought it without signals – I managed to install some the other day which seem to operate reasonably well, although the flasher don’t seem to blink very well unless the RPMs are up which is disconcerting at stop lights to say the least.
I have a few questions which I hope some members could help with.
1. The exhaust is pretty much toasted from what I can tell. Id like install or build up my own using a supertrapp universal muffler. Has anyone done this for a XL250 or can anyone recommend where to get a mid pipe fabbed up? What does that expansion tank looking thing do for the stock muffler? Will I have to re-jet after installing the new muffler? What size muffler and midpipe should I be looking at?
2. The brakes are pretty much useless on the street – can these be improved upon at all? What are ways of tuning or improving the drum brakes - I have heard about scoring grooves in the brake material – does this work or just build up more dirt in the assembly?
3. Will a 12V horn work on a 6V system or does anyone have a working 6V horn to sell or trade?
4. My home brew signal lights look pretty dorky – does anyone have the stock signals to sell or trade?
5. Occassionaly when I try to kick start the kick seems jammed aand wont kick – is that because the compression release isn’t adjusted properly?
6. Does anyone have a copy of the Honda manual to copy, sell or trade? The Clymer manual is spotty at best and doesn’t provide exploded views.
7. What is a good replacement rear suspension for these dual shock models – Id like a little more ah, suspension to say the least?