BigTop

Thread: Klr 13 tooth front sprocket

DSBC Participating Member
    new westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Klr 13 tooth front sprocket

I've got the hack (07 klr 650 and Dauntless Enduro sidecar) on the road at last. It certainly is a different ride! I'd like to try a 13t front sprocky while I learn to ride this thing and so far I haven't found one. Anyone know where I can get one?

DSBC Participating Member Hamon's Avatar
    Bike(s)
    KLR650, DL650
    Arrowhead Motorsports:

http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/parts_frames.html

Click on the drop box for KLR/KLX, click on Drive, and find the PBI steel front sprocket. It gives you two options, a 16 and a 13.

Who knows? Maybe you can get a dealer up here to bring in the same part. Try Robert at MTR sports. (www.mtrsports.com)

Travis

DSBC Participating Member 250ccforme's Avatar
    Bike(s)
    KLX250S
    They ship USPS and worldwide so it would probably be easier to buy direct. One sprocket in a padded envelope might even make it to your door without border fees.

I just got off the phone to Arrowhead. The sprocket is $24 usd and the shipping via usps is $26. Ouch! I'll have to keep looking. Thanks for the replies.
    Bill

Bike(s)
    KLX250S
    That shipping sounded high to me having just bought a couple of small things out of the US. So having some time on my hands I took a look. They quoted the more expensive faster way (which doesn't really work much faster) "Express MailŪ International Flat Rate Envelope". Going the "slower" choice "Priority MailŪ International Small Flat Rate Box" brings the postage down to $11.45 for a max of four pounds. So while your at it get two, and the postage is $5.73 each.

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a 13t sprocky from Pbi Sprockets. They are closer than Arrowhead so the shipping is a bit less,but still steep.It seems that the slower cheaper rate at usps is only available if you take the package to the post office. More and more dealers are chosing to have usps pick it up from them at the higher cost. All told about $50 cdn, pricey but if you want the thing and it's not available here what else can you do......
    Last edited by cathouse willy; 05-29-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Bike(s)
    KLX250S
    Not much choice, at least you're getting one. Going to the post office is their dime, USPS coming to get it is your dime. That 13 will make the KLR quite the off-road tractor. Have fun. Recently helped a buddy remove a 14 to put on a 15. He's mostly highway right now so it's better for that (no sidecar).

Due to the learning curve of riding the hack a lower gear ratio for short trips seems a good idea.This is also a reccomendation of a fellow experienced rider with the same combo. Hauling around that extra 250 lbs needs some low end grunt to get things rolling.Changing the front means not having to change the chain as the extra legnth is absorbed by the adjusters.

Bike(s)
    KLX250S
    Happy hacking. The first vehicle our family had was a sidecar rig. Mom was not happy. Dad had traded the fridge away to get the MC/sidecar.